Playa El Medano
Granadilla de Abona (Tenerife), Spain
Blue Flag season: 01 Jul – 30 Sep
Type: Sandy Beach
Beach access for people with disabilities
Water access for people with disabilities
Map coordinates: 28.043787511305613,-16.536924524884057
· Fine Sand,. · Urban Beach.· Life saving timetable: July, Agost and Septembre, from 9 to 20 h rest of the year, from 9 to 17 h.· Sports intallations, Transport Public, Near accommodation, Disable facilities· Near natural sites:· Beach location: You need to take Tacoronte-Tejina road and as son as you see Ernesto Castro Street you need to turn left and at the en of that Street you will see the road which takes you to the nice beach.
This two-mile beach near the Tenerife South airport is a favourite with surfing dudes, and there are a number of shops to buy or hire equipment.
The sand here is naturally light in colour, is clean and well-maintained and backed by sand dunes.
There are good facilities, a market and plenty of places to eat. Prices tend to be a bit lower here than in busier resorts. Adding a bit of drama are the curiously-shaped formations of compacted sand left over from long-ago volcanic activity and the 560ft high red rock known as the Montana Roja.
On the other side of Montana Roja is the quiet beach of Playa de Lla Tejita, which is reached by an unmade track that leads from the main road to a car park and simple cafe.
Playa El Medano one of the most popular beaches among Tenerife residents
In the south of Tenerife you will find one of the local residents’ favourite beaches on the island: El Medano, a beach of golden sand, shallow waters and moderates wave with all the necessary services an urban beach requires. Over time the centre of El Medano has become an important second home base for many islanders and is a hugely popular spot for wind and kitesurfing due to constant winds, which gives the town a real buzz in the evening after a day spent on the beach.
A family friendly urban beach in Playa El Medano with excellent accessibility
El Meédano is a family friendly beach with sunbeds and parasols for hire, a beach promenade with restaurants and excellent accessibility for those with reduced mobility thanks to ramps, amphibian crutches and help in and out of the water during summer. The tourist facilities in the town include frontline apartments and hotels as well as equipment rental for water sports. And due to the nearby port of El Medano there is an anchoring zone for boats.
Best beaches in Tenerife:
- Complejo Playa Jardín
- Piscinas de Bajamar
- Playa de La Arena (Mesa del Mar)
- Playa de la Arena (Santiago del Teide)
- Playa de La Jaquita (Granadilla de Abona)
- Playa de Las Vistas
- Playa de San Juan
- Playa de San Telmo
- Playa de Torviscas
- Playa de Troya I- Playa de Troya II
- Playa Del Duque
- Playa El Socorro
- Playa Fañabé